Recipe submitted by Veronica Bowman, Trailblazer
This is a super simple way to make pizza by using a Lodge cast iron skillet. What's better than hot pizza and beer in the great outdoors with your dog by your side?
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 15 min
Makes 2 10" pizzas
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Your choice of toppings
- In mixing bowl add flour, yeast and salt
- Add the warm water and 2 tablespoons olive oil to dry ingredients
- Knead the dough
- Cover dough and let it rise for 20 minutes
- After dough has risen, turn it out onto a cutting board and divide the dough into two equal pieces
- Coat pre-heated cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Place the Skillet on a grate over your campfire, or on your camp stove at a fairly high heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until bottom has firmed up and begins to turn golden brown.
- Pull the skillet off the fire
- Flip uncooked side face down in the skillet. Add your toppings, cover the pizza with foil, and return the skillet to your campfire or stove.
- Cook the pizza for additional 5-8 minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Remove foil/lid once the cheese has melted.